Christian vs Born Again | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » The Bible » God's Word Q&A
David
David May 15 '16
I wanted to know what your take is on whether one is a Christian, or a person, that is Born Again? I at times, have a problem with the word Christian. Many claim to be a "Christian", but are NOT very Christ like. I remember as a child living in Chile, my dad (who was a missionary at the time) asked a woman if she was a christian? Her reply was "Of course I'm a Christian. I'm not an animal". Moral of that short story, is that only animals aren't Christians in her eyes. Ever since then, I've had a problem with the word Christian by itself. 

In John chapter 3, The Lord is speaking to Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. Verse 2, it states that Nicodemus, came to Jesus by night, and said unto Him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for NO man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with Him. v3: Jesus answered, and said unto to him "Verily, verily I say unto thee, except a man be "BORN AGAIN" he cannot see the Kingdom of God" 

So you see, I have somewhat of a problem with just the word Christian by itself. I much prefer stating, that I am a Born Again Christian, knowing that I have been reborn, not in a Physical nature, but a Spiritual one, as Jesus never said you had to be a Christian, but be Born Again. I know we need to be Christ like....

I don't know, but wondering what you thought of the term Christian in of itself?

The Forum post is edited by David May 15 '16
Share:
BillGlenney
BillGlenney May 15 '16
A simple statement  to that is "going to church doesn't make you as Christian any more that you sitting in a garage makes you a car".  Many Christian believe that they obtained or " worked for that "title"  such as saying that they were born to a christian family or do good work to be a Christian which is not born again because  you have nothing to do about getting saved.  Born again is  when you BELIEVE  everything that Jesus did for you including that He died in your place on the cross  for your sin.

"Christian"  in today's world seem to be  "label" instead of follower of Christ and is more relate to the "falling away" of the unfaithful or producer no good "fruit" before Christ comes back, sadly most of them are likely not Born Again Believers in Christ
David
David May 15 '16
I have to agree with you Bill. Like it says in Ephesians 2:8-9 that "By Faith are we saved through GRACE, and that not of ourselves, it is the GIFT of GOD, NOT of WORKS lest any man should BOAST".... So, there is NO way we can work our way into heaven. Not even if we act Christ like. There are many UNSAVED (Not Born Again) people in this world, who are very good people (with a sinful nature) that will NEVER attain heaven due to the fact, that they have NEVER accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior. (Born Again)

Share Us

Share:

Read God's Word Here

The Web Bible

Start Your Day Right

Our Daily Bread